Invisible orthodontic aligner
WHAT IS THE INVISIBLE ORTHODONTIC ALIGNER?
Invisalign aligners consist of a series of clear plastic, removable appliances that move your teeth in small increments. Invisalign’s product combines your doctor’s diagnosis and prescription with sophisticated computer graphics technology to develop a treatment plan which specifies the desired movements of your teeth during the course of your treatment. Upon approval of a treatment plan developed by your doctor, a series of customised Invisalign aligners is produced specifically for your treatment.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF THE INVISIBLE ORTHODONTIC ALIGNER?
- Invisalign aligners offer an aesthetic alternative to conventional braces.
- Aligners are nearly invisible so many people won’t realise you are in treatment.
- Treatment plans can be visualised through the ClinCheck software.
- Aligners allow normal brushing and flossing that are generally more difficult to do with conventional braces.
- Aligners don't have metal wires or brackets associated with conventional braces.
- The wearing of aligners may improve oral hygiene habits during treatment.
- Invisalign patients may notice improved periodontal (gum) health during treatment.
A routine orthodontic first visit and examination include radiographs (x-rays) and photographs. Your orthodontist will take impressions or intraoral scans of your teeth and send them to the Align laboratory. Align technicians will follow your doctor’s prescription to create a ClinCheck® software model of your prescribed treatment. Upon approval of the ClinCheck treatment plan by your orthodontist, Align laboratory will produce and ship a series of customised aligners to your orthodontist. The total number of aligners will vary depending on the complexity of your malocclusion and the orthodontist's treatment plan. The aligners will be individually numbered and will be dispensed to you by your orthodontist with specific instructions for use. Unless otherwise instructed by your orthodontist, you should wear your aligners for approximately 20 to 22 hours per day, removing them only to eat, brush and floss. As directed by your orthodontist, you will switch to the next aligner in the series every two weeks or as directed by your doctor. Treatment duration varies depending on the complexity of your orthodontist's prescription. Unless instructed otherwise, you should follow up with your orthodontist at a minimum of every 6 to 8 weeks. Some patients may require bonded aesthetic attachments and/or the use of elastics during treatment to facilitate specific orthodontic movements. Patients may require additional impressions or intra-oral scans and/or refinement aligners after the initial series of aligners.
WHAT TO AVOID WHEN IN THERAPY WITH THE INVISIBLE ORTHODONTIC DEVICE?
During the therapy with invisible orthodontic device it is advisable:
- to avoid coloured food and beverages such as coffee, black wine, coca cola;
- that you do not smoke;
- to wrap the wad for 22 hours on a single day and remove it only during meals;
- to wash with a brush or with water.